It’s NFL mock draft season. In this 3-round mock I have the Buccaneers addressing three needs.
This mock started with a bit of a shock at the top when the Arizona Cardinals selected QB Dwayne Haskins out of Ohio State. That started a domino effect that saw the San Francisco 49ers select DE Nick Bosa (OSU) 2nd overall. The New York Jets followed by taking DE Montez Sweat (MSU). The Oakland Raiders took DT Quinnen Williams 4th overall, putting the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on the clock with the 5th pick.
1st round (5th)
Josh Allen, EDGE, University of Kentucky
WT: 262 lbs.
– Unanimous All-American (2018)
– Chuck Bednarik Award (2018)
– Lott Trophy (2018)
– Bronko Nagurski Trophy (2018)
– SEC Defensive Player of the Year (2018)
– Unanimous First Team All-SEC (2018)
– Second Team All-SEC (2017)
Video credit: RSHighlights
Josh Allen’s ability to rush the passer will have an instant impact on the Buccaneers’ defense. Allen, the 2018 SEC Defensive Player of the Year, had an exceptional season with the Wildcats, posting 88 tackles, 21.5 tackles for loss, 17 sack and 5 forced fumbles.
2nd round (7th)
Taylor Rapp, SS, Washington
WT: 212 lbs.
– Pac-12 Championship Game MVP (2016)
– Pac-12 Freshman Defensive Player of the Year (2016)
– Freshman All-American (2016; FWAA, USA Today, ESPN, PFF)
– 2x First-team All-Pac-12 (2017, 2018
Video credit: Seattle Native
Taylor Rapp’s ability to play in the box is what will benefit the Buccaneers the most. Rapp, while not great on the back-end of coverage, does well against TE’s and routes across the middle. Taylor finished his 3-year career at Washington with 168 tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss, 6 sacks and 7 INT’s.
3rd round (6)
Yodny Cajuste, T, West Virginia
WT: 315 lbs.
– FWAA All-American (Second Team)
– All-Big 12 Conference First Team (AP, Coaches)
– Big 12 Conference Co-Offensive Lineman of the Year
Video credit: Mountaineer Athletic Club
Yodny Cajuste has a tremendous upside. It’s hard to see him cracking the starting lineup but has all the tools necessary to do so. He has solid depth at the very least.