The 2023 NFL offseason is nearly here and that means it’s time for mock drafts, draft profiles and everything that goes with them. So without further ado, here’s one of many Draft Profiles for the 2023 NFL draft.
Lukas Van Ness, EDGE, Iowa
WT: 269 lbs
– 2X Academic All-Big Ten
– Second-team All-Big Ten
– Big Ten Special Teams POTW
– He’s flexible enough to bend the edge, and he’s at his best when Van Ness can use his quickness and change-of-direction abilities to counter back inside.
– Plays with leverage at the point of attack whether inside or outside. Keeps eyes in the backfield when inside; moves linemen to either side with strong hands.
– His spin move is already NFL-caliber, and he displays a very good motor.
– He’s very instinctive when it comes to countering and solid with overall hand usage.
– As a pass rusher, he shows quickness off the line and has the fluid athleticism and flexibility to bend the edge.
– Combines excellent power with initial quickness, but one of his best attributes are his violent hands, which he uses with impressive precision.
– Plays tall, lacks athleticism to break down against elusive ballcarriers.
– His spin move is a bit slow and mechanical. He’s susceptible to cut blocks, a tactic that was used on him often
– Van Ness doesn’t show much in the way of dynamic change-of-direction ability on counter moves, and Van Ness also has a limited repertoire of pass-rushing moves.
In 2021 as a freshman Van Ness saw action in 14 games and played a total of 462 snaps for the Hawkeyes. He recorded 18 tackles, 7 assists, while adding 14 stops. As a pass rusher, he added 28 total pressures, which included 14 QB hurries, 10 QB hits, and a decent a decent 4 sacks on the season.
As a sophomore for the Hawkeyes in 2022 Van Ness played in 12 games and took part in 458 snaps for the Hawkeyes. He recorded 15 tackles, 11 assists, while adding 18 stops. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 43 total pressures, and 29 QB hurries, 6 QB hits, and an impressive 8 sacks during the year. The ceiling for Van Ness is very high. His ability to play interior defensive line and the EDGE will allow him to be an instant impact on the Buccaneers’ defensive front.
Information in this article first appeared on NFL Draft Buzz and is used with permission. Find the latest coverage, analysis, and player rankings for the 2023 NFL Draft at nfldraftbuzz.com
Hear It Straight From The GOAT
The Aftermath Reaction Show
Bucs Live! Brady Retires Again!
Follow, Like and Subscribe to Bucs Report
Twitter, Twitch, YouTube, TikTok, Instagram, Tumblr, Facebook, Reddit
For more on this and everything Buccaneers check back here hourly at BucsReport.com