The Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2022 season came to an end with their playoff loss to the Dallas Cowboys. The season did not go as planned, one of the reasons being penalties, a lot of them. With those occasionally comes a fine from the league. This is one area the 2022 Buccaneers thrived in.
The 2022 NFL season is over and done with, it’s a good time to look back on the season and see where teams can improve both on and off the field. Something that many teams could improve on that would save a lot of money over the course of the season is on-field fines – but which teams have been fined the most for their on-field infractions?
To discover this, Gambling.com decided to calculate the total amount in fines that every NFL teams has been issued both during the 2022 season and over the course of the last 5 years, revealing the Most Fined Teams in the NFL:
“Best” Of The “Best”
- The Pittsburgh Steelers topped the leaderboard for total amount fined during the 2022 season with close to $200,000 in fines, followed by the Denver Broncos in second with $187,565 in fines and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in third with $135,905 in fines.
- Over the last five years the Las Vegas Raiders were fined more than anybody else, with the Raiders collecting close to $2,000,000 in fines for their on-field infractions since the beginning of the 2018 season
- The Arizona Cardinals were revealed to be the cleanest team in the NFL with the lowest total amount in fines for both the 2022 season and over the last 5 seasons
The NFL’s Most Fined Teams
- With the 2022 NFL season wrapped up, Gambling.com decided to take a look at which NFL teams have had to fork out the most money due to on-field fines both during the 2022 season and over the last 5 years.
- The research revealed that the Pittsburgh Steelers had to pay more than anybody else in the league last season, with their on-field fines costing them close to $200,000.
- When it comes to the last 5 years, the Las Vegas Raiders and Cleveland Browns are well ahead the rest of the league with both teams having to pay a staggering $1.9m and $1.8m in on-field fines, respectively.
A Part Of The Game
Fines are a natural part of football and sometimes they can’t be avoided, whether that be through player mistakes or tactical reasons. However, these fines add up throughout the season and can end up costing teams hundreds of thousands of dollars a year if they’re not careful.
With this in mind, Gambling.com decided to take a look at all of the on-field fines that were given out in recent years and calculate the total amount that every NFL team has had to pay both over the course of the 2022 season and over the last 5 seasons put together.
The following table ranks every NFL team based on the total amount they had to pay in on-field fines during the 2022 season:
|Rank||Team||Amount fined during the 2022 season|
|3||Tampa Bay Buccaneers||$135,905|
|7||Los Angeles Chargers||$94,269|
|8||New York Jets||$92,374|
|10||Los Angeles Rams||$75,712|
|11||New Orleans Saints||$73,700|
|12||Green Bay Packers||$51,363|
|18||Kansas City Chiefs||$40,385|
|20||New England Patriots||$34,585|
|21||San Francisco 49ers||$32,273|
|23||Las Vegas Raiders||$29,785|
|27||New York Giants||$21,218|
Steelers Back On Top
Last season, the Pittsburgh Steelers paid more than anybody else in in the NFL in on-field fines with their total amount reaching close to $200,000 – their worst week for fines was Week 12 where 13 of their players were fined for obscene gestures against the Indianapolis Colts!
The Denver Broncos with $187,565 in total on-field fines claim a close second place, with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers sitting in third with a total of $135,905. The Arizona Cardinals were the best behaved team on the field last season having to pay just $10,609 all season for DeAndre Hopkins’ taunting in Week 11.
When In Vegas…
The following table ranks every NFL team based on the total amount they had to pay in on-field fines over the last 5 seasons:
|Rank||Team||Amount fined in over the last 5 seasons|
|1||Las Vegas Raiders||$1,934,927|
|3||New York Jets||$1,096,743|
|6||New Orleans Saints||$669,524|
|10||Los Angeles Rams||$458,660|
|14||Kansas City Chiefs||$388,596|
|15||Los Angeles Chargers||$386,880|
|16||San Francisco 49ers||$375,216|
|18||Green Bay Packers||$361,575|
|23||Tampa Bay Buccaneers||$326,031|
|28||New England Patriots||$273,762|
|31||New York Giants||$177,315|
When it comes to the last 5 years, the Las Vegas Raiders lead the NFL in total amount paid, with the Raiders having to pay an eye-watering $1.9 million over the last 5 seasons! A huge chunk of this came from Vontaze Burfict’s infraction of Targeting against the Indianapolis Colts back in 2019 where he was fined a staggering $1.1 million the largest fine handed out to any player for an on-field infraction over the last 5 years.
The Cleveland Browns come in at a close second with $1.8 million in fines over the last 5 seasons, and the New York Jets place third with close to $1.1 million in fines paid. The Cardinals again rank bottom of this list with just $124,868 paid in fines since the 2018 season, with the New York Giants and the Houston Texans also featuring at the bottom of this ranking.
If you’d like to read more about this research from Gambling.com, then please click here!
The total amount of fines for each team were calculated using Spotrac’s database of fines and suspensions in the NFL. Once calculated, the teams were then ranked from largest to smallest amount paid in fines both during the 2022 season and over the last 5 seasons.
Only on-field infractions were considered for this ranking, therefore no fines for PEDs or Detrimental Conduct to the league, for example, were included when creating this ranking.
Information in this article first appeared on Gambling.com and is used with permission!