The 2023 NFL offseason is here and that means it’s time for mock drafts, draft profiles and everything that goes with them. So without further ado, here’s one of many Draft Profiles for the 2023 NFL draft.
Myles Murphy, DE/EDGE, Clemson
WT: 258 lbs
• First-team All-ACC selection
• Second-team All-ACC honoree by the AP
• Third-team All-ACC selection by Phil Steele
• Murphy can win going speed-to-power, with the leg drive to push blockers back.
• A savvy, versatile and instinctive edge rusher who did a little bit of everything, Murphy was especially effective getting to the quarterback.
• He has a lethal spin move and the pure speed to close quickly.
• Impressive athletic skills — Made Bruce Feldman’s ‘Freaks List’ at number 3. He wrote: “The 6-5, 275-pound junior is viewed by NFL scouts as a “significantly better player” than former Tiger Clelin Ferrell, who went fourth overall in the 2019 draft. Murphy bench-presses 405 pounds, power-cleans 335, and deadlifts 505. He also has vertical-jumped 35 inches, broad-jumped 10 feet and consistently clocked in the high 4.5s in the 40”
• Murphy has long arms and displays good power in his hands, which gives him the ability to slip off blocks. As a run defender, he has the speed to chase down ball carriers in pursuit.
• His spin move is already NFL-caliber, and he displays a very good motor.
• His hand use is excellent; he’s strong in the upper body and consistently swats away blockers.
• Possesses the length and power to ward off offensive tackles.
• Plays tall and gets upright off the snap. Wins with upper-body strength and needs to focus on leverage.
• Murphy struggles to shed blockers and doesn’t show ideal lateral movement skills. He also needs to make better use of his length and hands in the pass rush.
• He remains a bit raw, as Murphy is inconsistent with his hand use and lacks violence in his hands
• Tightness in the hips when needing to corner or redirect with speed at steeper angles
• Difficult to gear down and redirect with a lot of mass
• Doesn’t showcase as much explosion when attack is slowed
With almost unrivaled mobility and pass-rushing skills, Murphy is set to make an immediate impact in the NFL. With the freakish speed, power, and agility to play multiple positions, he should be a game-changer in the NFL. With the right coaching, Murphy could be an impact starter by the end of his rookie season and is sure to make a real difference to his team’s defensive line. A no-brainer top-ten pick in the 2023 NFL Draft.
Information in this article first appeared on NFL Draft Buzz and is used with permission. Find the latest coverage, analysis, and player rankings for the 2023 NFL Draft at nfldraftbuzz.com
Follow, Like and Subscribe to Bucs Report
For more on this and everything Buccaneers check back here hourly at BucsReport.com